Personal tools
You are here: Home Buildings Moody Street Feeder Gatehouse
Document Actions

Moody Street Feeder Gatehouse

Moody Street Feeder Gatehouse
1848


Moody St. Feeder gatehouse


Building History

The Moody Street Feeder Gatehouse was built in 1848 as part of the construction of the Moody Street Feeder.  The underground Moody Street Feeder was built as part of the Northern Canal project and was designed by engineer James B. Francis.  The Feeder drew water from the Western Canal and delivered it to the Merrimack Canal, where it could be used to meet the needs of the Merrimack Mills that were located at the end of the canal (where the present day Fred C. Church and River Place Tower buildings are located).  The feeder, still in existence today, is 1,418 feet long, w0 feet in width, and 10 feet high.

The Italianate style Moody Street Feeder gatehouse is part of the Feeder itself.  The house contains three manually operated sluice gates equipped with counterweighted rack and pinion equipment.  All of the equipment in the building is original except for the counterweights which were added in 1853.


Back to List of Participating Buildings


 


Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: